In these modern times, almost everybody has the ability to shoot quality videos with the device in their pocket.
Do you have a smartphone, but you’re lacking the video-taking skills to produce a sufficient video? Our video crew, who are members of the IBEW, came up with some helpful tips to ensure that you can create quality video on your phone during a time-sensitive situation.
- Get a tripod: This is a simple solution to those shaky videos you have produced at meetings or events. By using a tripod, your cellphone footage will have a more professional look to it, with little to no movement from the camera.
- Vertical or Horizontal video: Is your video going to go on YouTube? If this is where you will be placing your video, setup your cell phone sideways, so it can record in landscape format. Today’s videos are meant to be viewed in widescreen format, so shooting this way will create more appeal. If you are shooting video for social media, such as, Instagram or Snapchat, you can hold your phone vertical - in portrait mode - and it will translate well, based on how your audience is viewing it.
- Audio: This element is important to the visual part of a video. When recording a video on your phone, you want to be in close proximity to the speaker in order to be heard on the video. Another solution to this is to purchase an aftermarket microphone that can catch sound from a distance. Be sure to also check reviews when searching for sound gear, such as an aftermarket microphone.
- Lighting: Make sure that the area you are recording is well lit and the lighting is in front of you. If the lighting is behind you, your object will appear as a silhouette, creating a poor-quality video.
- Editing: This component sounds complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. By editing, we mean, review your video and pay attention to details. If you have an IPhone, you can use iMovie to edit your video, take time off, add music, etc. If you have an Android device, there is a similar app, Video Show: Video Editor & Maker.
We know it can be hard to take your own personal time out of an event/meeting or whatever the social gathering may be to shoot a video - especially if you are concerned you do not the have the skillet to produce the type of video you want. If you have time to plan, our video production crew would love to meet up with you and team up to produce a high-quality, fresh video for your union.
LaborTools powered by BMA Media Group is used to help strengthen our union client’s organizations. From working with unions from the local level to the international, with training funds and labor management partnerships, as well as other labor organizations, BMA has experience with organizations of all sizes. We are here to create and implement unique and customized marketing campaigns for our clients.
At BMA, we offer services in the following categories: union event services (from writing the history of your union to executing the logistics of an event,) video production, website design, union marketing campaigns, print and broadcast advertising, social media management, development of print materials, building trades industry education, labor public relations and crisis management, union merchandise, as well as strategic branding and marketing of union organizations.
BMA Media Group is a Union Building Trades Contractor, signatory with International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union Local 673 and International Union of Painters and Allied Trades DC 6 / Sign Display and Allied Trades Local 639. BMA Media Group is also signatory with AFTRA and an affiliate contractor of the Cleveland Chapter of NECA.